61: A Modern Take on Vintage Shopping with Virginia Chamlee
“You can find things anywhere. It’s about having confidence and imagination.”
Virginia Chamlee had spent more than a decade collecting and selling vintage and contemporary works of art when she began selling her own works. The bulk of her work is inspired by the colors and shapes found throughout her home state of Florida, and the power and beauty of the female form. A journalist for more than a decade, much of Virginia's art is inspired by the written word. She has been published in The Washington Post, Business Insider, Buzzfeed, Ms. Magazine, People and Eater, among others. Her original art and prints are available via Anthropologie, Chairish, and Artfully Walls. Commissions are available, as well.
Her new book, Big Thrift Energy will teach you everything you need to know about shopping for affordable vintage home decor and styling it in a modern home. Part resource, part inspiration, Big Thrift Energy is a comprehensive guide that offers tips for thrifting that you never knew you needed.
SHOW HIGHLIGHTS & TAKEAWAYS:
- The changing nature and perception of thrift.
- How social media has helped a younger audience fall in love with thrift.
- Exposing new audiences to vintage.
- The inspiration behind her new book, Big Thrift Energy.
- Tips for shopping at thrift stores, estate sales, antique stores, auctions, Craig’s List, and Facebook Marketplace.
- Thrifting for profit.
- Navigating the world of vintage shopping.