89: Tips for Thrifted Furniture Makeovers with Mel Commandant
“It’s important to let the furniture speak for itself.”
MelDidItHerself was created in early 2020 and has been keeping old and unloved pieces out of landfills in the Ottawa area since then (@meldiditherself). Using quality products and finishes, the furniture pieces are not only made to grab your attention but also made to last and become staples in your home for years to come.
Mel has always been a helper at heart. Previously working in homeless shelters and as a social service worker, helping people achieve their goals has always been important and impactful to her.
After moving into her first home with her soon-to-husband, Mel found herself attempting to upcycle her grandmother's sewing table to put in the guest room right before the pandemic hit. It turned out great, and she got the itch for more!
Two and a half years and hundreds of furniture makeovers later, Mel is now working as a full-time DIYer and furniture refinisher, and painter, transforming pieces for those in and around Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Every day, Mel wakes up excited and passionate about bringing new life to old and unloved furniture and helping others by teaching them to do the same. She’d love to walk you through your first furniture makeover or help to add the perfect upcycled furniture piece to your home!
You can get 20% off her No BS Guide to Your First Furniture Makeover by using the code: GETTHRIFTY
SHOW HIGHLIGHTS & TAKEAWAYS:
- Bringing a second life to old treasures.
- How she built her business and became a full-time furniture refinisher and painter.
- Tips and tricks for thrifted furniture makeovers.
- Her favorite platforms to sell her designs.
- Her BusyBee Refinishing podcast where she talks about upcycling, marketing your business, and her “101 series” outlining best practices.
- Tips for marketing your business and her No BS Guide to Your First Furniture Makeover.